Sunday 25 July 2021

Writers Influences 19: Anne C. Miles on Jim Butcher

 












As a writer myself, I always understand the need to keep reading other writers to understand how to constantly improve your own work.

Nature of the beast with me, because I am so, so busy with my life (Day job, writing, doing music, Podcasting, co-running a Spoken Word night – well a few things), my time is not what it should be with reading so I end up with names I know and clearly suspect I will like but haven’t read.

Today’s guest, Annie Miles has selected as her influence as Jim Butcher who I am aware of through his The Dresden Files from whom I have being told to read because it is a little similar to the John Constantine comic character and certainly look forward to reading someday in particular after Annie’s feature below:

*

Jim Butcher has influenced my writing deeply. He wrote his process in his livejournal. (https://jimbutcher.livejournal.com/) I have studied his method extensively in writing book 2 of my series, and plan to use his methods in all my subsequent books. He first defines a sentence to encompass the action of the entire book thusly:

*WHEN SOMETHING HAPPENS*, *YOUR PROTAGONIST* *PURSUES A GOAL*. But will he succeed when *ANTAGONIST PROVIDES OPPOSITION*?

This approach gave me focus when I was writing. I took the above to be the story skeleton and added to it given the conflict response sequence he provided.

Something happens, then the characters think or talk about it. Then they form a new plan, and try it. Something opposes the new plan.

I found this sequence, to regard the story in this way, really effective. I struggle with stakes and it helped me to clarify my stakes. His method also helped me slow down and string the long sequence of events in my story together in a way which will hopefully be much more clear. Where before, I wasn't sure I had said what I thought I had said, now I know I have clearly expressed what I wanted to say. I can be too subtle. He has helped cure me of that.

Jim also discussed ways to "brand" a character. He includes "tags" whenever he discusses different characters. Thomas is a sexy vampire of the White Court. Harry Dresden is tall, wears a pentagram necklace and carries a staff. These are general ideas about Butcher's characters which he wants his readers to remember and he will always include those details about them whenever he writes about them in his books. He chooses one or two details about the characters and makes sure to use those words when he is describing them. I have a lot of characters and I have found this tactic to be really useful.

I realize Jim Butcher is a master writer. I don't believe I can ever really equal his work. But I must reach for the moon, and hopefully I will land among the stars. And I am happy to sit at the feet of masters and learn all I can!

*

Bio:

Anne C. Miles, an award-winning author, was born in Chicago Heights, Illinois in 1971. She successfully avoided writing fiction for years by blogging and extensive journaling. However, one day, she logged into a writing website and scribbled. She kept going, and now cannot stop. Her book, Sorrowfish, was named Best Fantasy of 2019 by Indies Today.

Anne was confirmed in the Anglican Church (ACNA, High Anglican) in 2016. She takes communion once a week. When Anne isn't working or writing, she plays violin badly and spoils her grandchildren.

She is hard at work on book two of her series, The Call of the Lorica.

*

Jim Butcher is an American author. He has written the contemporary fantasy The Dresden Files, Codex Alera and Cinder Spires book series.


(The Sunday Tribune website is down again at least temporary and this feature was scheduled to be published there on 25 July 2021. If the website comes back up again next few days - I will publish it there too) 


No comments:

Post a Comment