Saturday 27 November 2021

The art in trying to find the right Podcast (Part 5)

 













I wasn’t planning to do a Part 5 of finding the right Podcast, but alas I’ve had a few approaches come through over the past two weeks or so which will result in likely several more emails over the next few weeks over terrible pitches in Podcasts. 

First one, this one came through on Bandcamp which does give you the option of emailing the act via Bandcamp.

I won’t name the gentleman with this approach, and will cut several details of where he lives and what his books are and a few personal details.

I'm fifty-six and I live in V****** , B***** C******, C*****, eh? About three years ago, I hit emotional-bottom and reached out to God. Since then, my life has changed in the following ways: I'm no longer addicted to sugar.

My weight has gone from 235 lbs. to 170 lbs. I work-out regularly: weight-lifting, yoga and daily, long walks.

Most importantly, I've been pursuing my dream of becoming a professional writer of creative fiction with more passion than ever before. For me, at least. Now? I have close to sixty books on-line. If you Google Indigo Books and search J*** L****, you can check them out. Recently, I was interviewed by D**** on his D****** With D**** podcast. It's on YouTube. I have around five thousand Facebook friends and I'm in hundreds of Facebook groups. I've posted a link to your awesome website on my Facebook profile page. Thank you for your time and consideration. Warmest Regards, J***!

Problems with this approach? I actually remember this gentleman as he approached with the same message back in August or so this year I recall and upon researching him at the same time, it appeared that he had wrote over 60 books in 3 years. Being married to a novelist, I know from experience how much work goes into a novel not 60 in 3 years or so – that is a pace that is worrying and when I read a few extracts it showed, they were badly worded, badly structured – bad stereotypes of female characters – well, there was nothing good with it.

As soon as the message came through I sent a polite message declining why I wasn’t interested in chatting to them only to get the extact same message as before.

I sent this email in response this time

Thanks John for the message;

You originally approached me in August this year I believe, and you have just sent me the exact same message as you did then, and I wasn't interested then and my answer stays the same now thanks but no thanks.

A gentle reminder is to perhaps research the Podcast you are wishing to appear on. If they turn you down once, and you send exactly the same message again a few months later will not make them want to bring you on and it also looks quite unprofessional.”

I expect to hear from this gentleman I suspect in the Spring of next year, maybe next year and he’ll still be peddling the same old rubbish as before, and no doubt I’ll have to be somewhat more forceful with him bordering on the rude I suspect. 






No comments:

Post a Comment