Friday 19 August 2022

Book Review: Billie Jade Kermack: Awoken (Shadowed veil series)

 














Blurb:


Love is hoped for, life is a trial, death is inevitable.

Grace is still deeply haunted by the untimely death of her father when the handsome Beau walks into her life. There is just one problem. Behind Beaus cool exterior lurks a deadly secret, an unexplainable gift, Grace comes to discover that maybe death isn’t final. With freaky twists and spine tingling turns Grace finds herself buried deep in an extra ordinary world of the supernatural and unearthly. Plagued by the sadistic spirit of a serial killer that is long dead Grace must hold onto her sanity and fight for her life, or join the growing list of his other victims. He plays hard, he plays rough and his weapon of choice is a six inch hunting knife.

There are two sides to this cautionary tale – Heaven and Hell, good and evil, love and hate.

Two men - who mean the difference between life and death.

Ghost stories aren’t just for bedtime and the bogey man isn’t just a myth to scare kids.

The shadowed veil dividing our world and that of the deceased has been torn and all hell is breaking loose....literally.

Keep the lights on and set yourself up for the creepy and the demented - nothing is as it seems.


Strengths:


An audio version of this review will appear on the Book Podcast Review series ‘Reading in Bed’. ‘Reading in Bed’ broadcasts from September 2022 two episodes a month, and will appear on one of them. ‘Reading in Bed’ can be found on all the usual places including ‘readinginbed.bandcamp.com’


This book was sent in by the Author herself directly for a fair and honest review both here and also on Reading in Bed and is certainly recommended for those who like their books in the genre off young adult, new adult, romance, and paranormal.


While I am not the target market for this book, the book is well told talking about Grace and Beau who met at college and well… I won’t go any further there apart from just encourage you to read the book if this is your genre.

It’s not mine I have to be honest as I am too old for this and don’t really read books like this, but the book is well told, and the book is structured good and I felt was paced enough to ensure the four hundred pages flowed quickly enough.


Of course the twist with Beau I saw coming a mile off without giving any spoilers, but sometimes I think when you are reading books like this it is too be expected as Grace has lots of her secrets too and the crunch in this book which I guess will happen in Book 2 are the two characters are able to work their way through the secrets they both hold?


Weaknesses:


Yeah, there was a segment in the book at the two thirds stage where the viewpoint went in-between Grace and Beau which I felt came way too sharply and lost my attention for the pages it did it.

Also, the twist at the end I felt ensured the book was finished off way too sharply for me and it annoyed me enough as I don’t mind too books leaving you on a cliff hanger. I’ve reviewed two for Reading in Bed last year which did this, one of which almost had one throwing the book at the wall. This didn’t have the same impact I have to be honest, I didn’t think it was as good as that I have to be honest and whether I will read any of the sequels I am not sure yet, but whether that I am part of the one target audience is perhaps a better answer.


7/10


No comments:

Post a Comment