Saturday 11 September 2021

Rosie Lawson - Ascension and Growth

 













I first got talking to Rosie Lawson through a mutual friend last year if my memory is correct, and finally met her for the first time at Speak Easy recently and loved the energy she brings to her work.

She is described as " a passionate poet based in Stockport. Her latest collection, Ascension and Growth, is available now – It is reflective of her spiritual journey of self love, to not only acceptance but adoration after a long battle with mental health." and agreed to answer the following questions in relation to her work. 

Andy N:

First of all, for those who do not know you Rosie – can you please introduce yourself to everybody and tell them where your creativity came from originally?

Rosie Lawson:

I've always been a creative individual even from being small - I could always be found drawing, painting, writing stories or song lyrics! This only grew as I got older and learned more about myself and who I truly am. While academia has played a large part of my adult life, underneath it all I'm a creative and emotive being. Being academic was expected of me and while studying History and English to Masters level was absolutely brilliant, the most important thing it did for me was help me find my love for the English language again and how I could piece together words and phrases to create something wonderfully magical and moving. 

Andy N:

I know recently you have brought out a collection called, “Ascension and Growth”. Can you tell us more about this.

Rosie Lawson:

"Ascension and Growth" is my first poetry chapbook and it is a really important and personal victory, as it details my journey to self love adoration from a much darker place after a long battle with my mental health. It's been much less a journey of self-discovery, but an uncovering of my true self, once all the conditioning, marketing and social expectations were stripped away it shows what is left underneath - an excavation of the soul if you will. The book starts off in an unsettling place but gradually shows the transition to a happier, healthier understanding of the self and I really hope that people who read this collection of poems can resonate with some of my words and learn to find their own unapologetic, authentic selves. 

Andy N:

I particularly liked the use of the seasons in your poetry in this collection for example “The Gift” and “Spring”.Are these regular themes / something you return regularly in your pieces?

Rosie Lawson:

I am heavily influenced by the seasons and depictions of nature, I'm very much a child of the earth and often get called a forest witch! I am very intune with the natural world and with having bipolar disorder I can see lots of similarities between myself and the changing seasons,

Andy N:

“Breathe” and “Growth” I feel are two companion pieces in a way similar to “The Gift” and “Breathe” in the sense they take you on a journey from Point A to Point B. Is this something you do regular with your pieces? 

Rosie Lawson:

Yes absolutely. In this collection each piece is its own separate journey, but they link together to form a greater picture. I felt that writing in this way, for this collection in particular, helped make the transition through my emotions much more cohesive rather than jarring, which in reality they can be at times. 

Andy N:

I know you have started a new series on Instragram as part of their IGTV called ‘Poems from the Bath’. Can you tell us more about that?

Rosie Lawson:

I love doing "Poems from the Bath"! It started one monday evening in the tub, as I tend to think of ideas for poems, or lines and imagery pop into my head while I have a long soak, so I thought I would start a series in which I share something new I've been working on. It helps people get to know the face behind the poetry too, which is always nice. 

Andy N:

I know you have being reading out your poetry at nights recently, first of all starting at on Zoom and recorded videos before recently moving onto live readings? How have you found that experience?

Rosie Lawson:

Starting open mic nights on Zoom was great for me, as I do sometimes get nervous when sharing my work, so having the protective barrier of a computer screen actually helped encourage me to go to the live shows once they were back up and running. The live nights are something else, the atmosphere is amazing. Everyone has been so supportive and I've received some wonderful feedback. Now the nerves have subsided a little and I can never wait for the next one!

Andy N:

What plans do you have next for your writing? Would you like to bring out a second collection sometime?

Rosie Lawson:

I am working on a second collection already as it happens! My next project is called "Soft Love and Hard Liquor" and is a series of love letters to the people who have entered my life and filled the days with a forever. 

It will feature small "Love Notes", a collection of haikus and poems created to reach out to different entities in my life, whether they be family, friends, pets, partners and even plants! Thou has not known love until thou hath grown a tomato! In all seriousness though, it's a collection that I am really looking forward to releasing - it's still in the early stages of writing but is coming together slowly. I cannot wait to share it with the world - watch this space!

Ascension and Growth is available NOW in paperback or on the Kindle store for all Kindle devices and the Kindle app for iOS and Android. 

Link: Ascension and Growth eBook : Lawson, Rosie: Amazon.co.uk: Kindle Store

Social Media:

Facebook: @creationsbyrosielawson

Instagram: @creationsbyrosielawson

Kofi: www.ko-fi.com/creationsbyrosielawson

Soft Love and Hard Liquor - Coming Soon

No comments:

Post a Comment