Saturday 4 September 2021

The art in finding the right Podcast (Part 4)

 










Without this appearing to be nothing to but terrible, terrible approaches blogs on this blog for any of the Podcasts I run, I have one more conversation I want to share with you before moving on (and hopefully not getting bad approaches although personally I’ll believe it when I see it).

On Matchmatcher.fm, Spoken Label which I am going to talk about does clearly state the following in the programme information “I am more interested in Poets, experimental musicians and fiction writers. People writing self help books, Entrepreneurship, Erotica and anybody trying to help me out with production / promotion / art are not of interest to me and likely to get a rejection and suggest to everybody to please review my archive below before getting in touch to save us both of us wasting our time.

Most of the time this is fine, and although I do get unsuitable guests approach me on occasion, I don’t get the kind of example I am going to share today very often.

I’ll reripnt the conversation word for word, only editing the name of the writer and the book:


M:


Hi! I would be delighted to be on your show! My book, ****** ***** is currently on Amazon and well, I am tons of FUN!


As I always do when I receive a request like this, I do have a look on Amazon to see what the book is about and in this case, I came across this blurb.


Blurb of book:


You never know what is happening on the other side of the front door. When you add in extensive wealth and luxury, like in my case, it takes that to a completely different level.

Our marriage is full of love, adoration, and most of all mutual respect. I married my best friend. With a mixture of temptation, lust, and sexual pleasures we fell into a lifestyle we were constantly surprised by each other which pushed our sexual boundaries beyond our wildest imaginations.

We never thought that through it all, We would begin to find my voice and my power. Our journey to finding myself is not unlike many women before me, just with a few added mind-blowing orgasms.


*

Well, straight-away if you look at my guidelines this sounds like Eriotica to me as soon as I started reading the extract so I rejected it with my standard stationery:



Me:


Hi - Thank you for your recent message regarding Spoken Label. If you read our profile, you will see that Spoken Label has no interest in books such as this and are therefore turning down your kind request automatically. Good luck with with your book, but if you don't mind some feedback you should really research the Podcasts you are contacting before sending a message like you have and properly research everything as Podcasts like this will turn you down automatically. Spoken Label


*

Half a hour I then got the following message in response from M:


M:


Hi. I actually did read your entire profile, and since my book is barely erotica, I thought you may still be interested. My book covers a lot of very important topics in a fun and spicy way, it is not a self help book, nor is it a full on erotica book. Thank you for the write back, but as an author and someone who reads contracts for a living as a REALTOR®, I do read every word very carefully. I did however think you might want to give some authors that don't fit in your box a try because we do have a lot to offer. Have a wonderful day!


*

I’ve not responded here and won’t be wasting my time here for a whole host of reasons that are clear but the basic gist is she clearly has not listened to one of my Podcasts and if she had listened to a few or even looked at the guests I book for it.


If she had, she would know the fiction writers I bring onto the Podcast may cover topics such as Science Fiction, thrillers, Non Fiction etc – Erotica is not one of them as it would not fit into the structure I use for Spoken Label.


The lesson from this for all writers is to research your markets and even if you are turned down by the Podcast not to start react against it like the above, as word could pass around about you and cause all kind of trouble for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment