Tuesday 15 October 2019

Guest blog from Belle Kenyon interviewing Sarah Etlinger

Don't do this anywhere near enough but enclosed below is a guest feature from Belle Kenyon from Fly on the Wall interviewing Sarah Etlinger, a writer I hadn't heard off before but I will be checking out now certainly..





















Isabelle: When you write a poem, do images or words come first?

Sarah: It depends. Usually, I’ll get a phrase or two, or a line, but sometimes I will see something which I think is so lovely that I want to write about it.

Isabelle: How does your environment and your upbringing inform your poetry?

Sarah: I grew up with literate and educated parents and we read all the time. Mom used to read rhyming prose to me and we used to see writing anything – like thank you notes – as creative. As an adult, I was introduced to poetry in around high school or middle school. T.S. Elliot and Sylvia Plath captivated me with the work they did. As an English major, and as a grad student, I hung out with creative writers and I also have an aunt who is a writer. Becoming a writer myself was always a possibility and it is always been part of my worldview because I have been an academic since college.

Isabelle: If you had to describe your collection in one sentence, what would it be?

Sarah: “Never One For Promises” examines relationships at a critical moment and offers insight into the connection between relationships and spirituality.

Isabelle: Which writers do you admire and does their work influence yours?

Sarah: Merwin Douglas influences my line breaks – he got rid of punctuation about a third of the way through his career which I found inspiring. K.Ryan is a rhymer and even though I don’t rhyme, I love her capacity to communicate a feeling in just two lines. Gwendolyn Brooks, Tess Gallagher, and Evan Bolland are all writers who have influenced me.

Isabelle: What is the worst writing advice you have ever received and the best?

Sarah: The worst writing advice was “Write What You Know”. It’s not what writing is about. What I know doesn’t necessarily create interest or create tension within a poem.

Also, the advice “avoids sentimentality” is mostly directed at women but I think there is room for that. I don’t want to be called ‘cute’ as a writer, so it’s not terrible advice but it’s so subjective, how can you judge? Typically, women are assumed to be confessional, autobiographical writers, whereas men are seen as detached, or less confessional writers and therefore are “allowed” to be sentimental in their writing.

The best writing advice I’ve ever received is to carve out time in the day to write as though it is my full-time job. Sometimes, that needs to be every two weeks, or even a month, but the best thing is to do it even if I don’t feel like it, or if I feel like I’m too busy! Also, getting valuable readers to feedback on my work.


























More about Sarah Etlinger:

Sarah A. Etlinger holds a BA in English from Skidmore College, an MA in English from Syracuse University, and a Ph.D. in Rhetoric and Composition (English) from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. Scholarly interests include new media studies, first-year composition, feminist literature,  the Beatles, and popular culture. Currently, she is Associate professor of Composition and Literature at Rock Valley College where she teaches courses in composition, film, and literature.
A Pushcart and Best of the Net nominee, she is the author of two books: Never One for Promises (Kelsay Books, 2018) and Little Human Things, forthcoming from Clare Songbirds. Other poems can be found in a variety of literary magazines, including The Amethyst Review, Neologism Poetry Journal, Mookychick,  The Penwood Review, The Magnolia Review, Brine (where she was September 2018’s featured Poet of the Month) and many others. 
Interests include cooking, traveling, and learning to play the piano.
https://sarahetlinger.com/poems/

No comments:

Post a Comment