Friday 3 June 2022

Writing on Tablets










As a writer although I finish off a lot of writing on my laptop etc nowadays previously it nearly all was wrote on a little note pad enabled with a pen of course and then finished off on my laptop or PC.

In some ways it has to be said it was easy and could easily be set up in just a few minutes and then I could scribble to my hearts content. 

However I started going to a new writing workshop near where I grew up in Stretford things and recently had a change in perspective there. In this workshop which was the first I had gone to which I hadn't ran in years or hadn't being online (where I do most of my writing on my laptop) and for the first time I found myself struggling to keep up with the excercises.

It wasn't because they were difficult they weren't but I simply couldn't write quickly to give them the attention they needed which of course caused a rethink.

I could have took my laptop but considering I was on public transport afterwards going home that simply wouldn't have being practical. I considered doing what my wife Amanda did at the workshop by writing on my mobile but that was simply too small for my eyesight to manage (perks of rotten eyesight).

I considered buying a netbook before then trying my kindle only to dismiss that when it became apparent that although it was great for reading much beside it was simply too slow.

The use of a tablet came by chance actually as I bought one last year as a top up to go with my mobile upgrade for next to nothing and I got it thinking it as a backup for both my laptop and kindle. I didn't think it would ever prove as important as my kindle and my ipod.

First of all the one I use isn't much more bigger than the A5 ring binder little books I had been scribbling away for years on and while the text is a little smaller than I was used to using on my laptop but was better than my mobile certainly but once I got used to the predicted text element off it, it wasn't perfect but it enabled to get ideas down quicker. 

Second despite the constant issue with automatic text and the fact because of the size of the keyboard it has resulted in me typing one handed quite a bit instead of both handed it has helped me increase what I am actually writing . 

Now of course this doesn't mean what I have wrote is always any good as it certainly hasn't being but it's stopped me worrying about it if it is any good as much bizarrely enough as doing it this way has helped me with the editing side of it a little. (Of course whether this means I will share them is another ball game of course).

Whatever next things has certainly changed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment