Saturday 15 June 2019

A few hints of writing projects to come Part 2


I first met Nick Armbrister all the way back at the summer of 2009 or so at the Abbey Inn in Oldham during a band rehearsal for my then band ‘Words and Music’. We had been offered a good gig at a pub called the Gardners Arms a few miles up the road from there and we were going to do with a guitarist friend of mine, Rick (which it had to be said didn’t work out at the Gardners for reasons I’ll talk in my book ‘Losing the thread’ another day) where I first met Nick Armbrister who came along also to the Gardners also as well as the Abbey where I first got chatting to him.

Where the idea for our joint poetry series ‘Europa’ in 2013 or so I can’t actually remember upon reflection, perhaps Nick would have more of an idea than me but it certainly got delayed when I contracted Diabetes in the late summer of 2011 and early versions of The End of Summer (it went through three or four printed versions before I got it right) contained some anti war poems which became a stable of our books, two anti war poets protesting anyway we could in that summer of 2014. A second book followed two years later simply Europa II where I wrote excluding my NaPoWriMo themed work, my first major themed work on Prisoners of War and then at the start of 2019, our third book of this which from my side contained well over 20 pieces of Soldiers retreating from a massacre of their men across the ocean.

As I said before following my newly developed mini poetry form, I have now nearly my section of our fourth poetry writing currently somewhere round 34 or 35 pieces looking at people’s lives just before and just after it gets bombed by a enemy’s planes in the middle of a war. Following on from both Europa2 and Europa3, Europa 4 from my side will look at the effects of people’s lives this time in just a few lines.

The poems that may appear in the book I suspect are going to change by the time my side of the collection will be ready some point in the Spring or summer of 2020 but a example of this could well be:

Kissing in the shelling

Basked in silence
the young couple couldn’t move
from the shadows
once the shelling started
their kissing being the only thing
that could keep them alive.

Europa 1 to 3 can be all be found on my Amazon page in the meantime

No comments:

Post a Comment