Monday 3 June 2019

Ocean in a bottle - notes on projects from the past


Before I move onto what’s coming next from Ocean in a Bottle, I thought I would share some notes about past projects for Ocean in a Bottle (Not revealed before):

Alex Humphrey EP was wrote in memory of my dear friend Alex Humphrey who sadly went missing in 2009 and his body was never found with a large rumour appearing years later he met a terrible accident after falling off a truck and breaking his neck. Alex was a dear friend of mine who despite been very troubled was a incredibly talented writer and artist who did everything in a very unusual way and this single was designed as a tribute to him years later to highlight this.

The End of Summer project: This began off as just a two part project (which ended up eventually been 4 parts to date) wrote hand in hand as I was writing my second full length poetry book ‘The End of Summerhouse I wanted it to be a companion piece telling similar stories to the words except in music. Over time, this changed and became it’s own beast really with different strokes creating different shadows.

Hurricane in a bottle. This actually was the first EP I recorded and one I nearly didn’t release
as it was worried it was a little as I played the keyboard / Piano fairly normal as I did at the time and then throughout the rest of EP kept building up the rest of the tracks so it went faster and faster and faster and more and more distorted to make it feel like you are in the middle of a hurricane which I
think it worked on that level (On a side note Hurricane in a bottle was the original name for Ocean in a Bottle and it’s a name I still may go back to in the future).

Monument (A Christmas walk to Tandle Hill) was wrote for somebody I was seeing at the time who took me on a walk at Christmas across Tandle Hill that Christmas.

Flight of the Phoenix I and II – Flight of the Phoenix was a series of simple Piano pieces (II was more echoey and distant to symbolise the further the journey was along) of an imaginary Phoenix getting to the end of its journey and also touched on the emotional journey a friend called Phoenix was then going through.

Moving Houses – was quite simply wrote over two nights in-between trying to move everything to my new address and testing out the acoustics in the apartment (which were lovely)

Piano in the rain,
Piano on the train
Piano in the sea

– This was a series of Piano pieces again recorded in different places letting the background ambience carry it along done as much live as possible.

Homage to Brian Eno
Warped kind of ambient silence (Homage to the Aphex Twin)

These were two homage Eps to two major influences on the sound of Ocean in a Bottle.

Conversations with the Dead.. This came from a really bad dream which played it out across my head for several nights until I worked out the sound I wanted to develop.

Circling Winter,
In the Midst of Winter,
Embracing Winter,
Understanding Winter

This 4 part series was a really well received series of movements across Winter – each one exploring the emotional subtext and feelings that Winter drags us through (One was wrote during a snowstorm).

From Winter to Spring – this was wrote as a finale to the previous sequence and designed to lead
into a new sequence (Alas it didn’t happen but I will write a spring sequence).

Movements for Piano Day (2016) – wrote for Nils for Piano day 2016.

Dream Logic Part 1, 2, 3

Three more Eps wrote for Brian Eno.

Changing Seasons – is a companion piece from Winter to Spring except doing it from the end of Summer to the Birth of Autumn which should have then followed with a series of Autumn based pieces (that followed some time later)

Abandoned Cities it has to be said wasn’t originally planned to be an Ocean in a Bottle project rather than the name for a new band with a vocalist (who I won’t name) who let me down big style
after completing 4 fragmented ambient pieces for you, and after placing them back to myself it became apparent that there was 4 quite lovely tracks which deserved to be heard.

Forgotten tracks and EPS – Volume 1 and 2. Both of these albums was a product of a cleansing at the end of 2016 of demos and out-takes and discovering I really liked the tracks outstanding and decided while I decided on my next stage forward I would let people hear some alternative tracks and demos etc, as a way of looking behind the curtain.

Dream Frontier – this was designed to be the first in a new series of ambient pieces following on from the Dream Logic, alas real life got in the way not long after this piece and the series got abandoned which then resulted in the next single.

Finale – was what was it was meant to be, the finale to Ocean in a Bottle as I wanted to go onto other projects but as I hinted above, real life got in the way and it got delayed quite a bit and by the time I released it, I was already halfway through from From Choirs to Dischoirs.

From Choirs to Dischoirs Part 1 – again wasn’t originally meant to be an Ocean in a Bottle single as the sound is more higher and floaty, but my partner I remember saying it is Ocean in a Bottle perhaps just count it as a Stage 2 as you are going higher and deeper than before and after the Autumn series which followed next which is what I did. A Part 2 has been recorded and also some ideas for Part 3… In time, when I want a break from my current series I will record to this series.

Tuning into Autumn,
Birth of Autumn,
Dancing across Autumn,
Breeze across Country Meadows in Autumn
Touching the wind while sat on fences

This is a 5 part series exploring Autumn in a similar way to my Winter sequence did, except a bit less nosier and intense than what followed through the Winter series. It also wasn’t intended to be a 5 part series as originally the first 3 releases were all meant to be just one release but I enjoyed the three sessions that much, it made sense to leave it separate even though by the time I got to the finale, we were heading out of Autumn already.

Mailboxes in late Winter – was a live EP wrote in late March 2018 simply watching the snow come down one night all over a Post Box and wondering how I would get to work the next day (which was very difficult shall we say).

Awakening I and II – A spiritual re-awakening

Waiting for the bath to run – a challenge to write and record and mix a track while waiting for the bath to run… I made it somehow.

Stepping into the sea – is a synth like response to John Masefield’s ‘Sea Fever’.

Movement in the wind - A response to part to the Stephen King quote on the write up to the single but an emotional response on Piano to listening to a gentle breeze over three nights over a hot night.

Synth Dreams – nice became Stepping into the sea II I seem to recall but it became apparent over repeated listening became to feel I was drowning rather stepping into the sea in a ton of information and therefore it became an almost Science Fiction EP.

Dawn Chorus – is my first single for Disintermediate, a simple 5 mine drone track mixed with a field recording near Amanda’s interlaced with a lovely (at least to me) droney synth piano to build into a feeling close to Dawn. It is worth this was recorded before Into Space and Outer space.

Into Space
Outer Space
Searching for Planet 9
Searching for Planet 9 (Remixes)
Floating from the Earth to the Moon and back
First approach of Mars

The first six parts of a major series (which has at least another six parts to go, maybe even more) of emotional journeys passing planets and stars trying to imagine through noise and synths and tapes and ambient and piano how the emotion will be be on each place we pass.



No comments:

Post a Comment