Thursday 30 May 2019

Ocean in a bottle (A brief history)


Ocean in a bottle, my ambient music project first started all the way back in the middle of 2014, however it’s origin dated to the end of 2013 actually where I decided to get a upgrade to the keyboard I was using for live shows for my then band ‘A Means to an End’. I forgot who advised (forgotten about in the mists of time, sorry whoever you were) me to get a mini USB keyboard and I ended up ordering one off amazon.

Sadly, for reasons I can’t remember it never made the live set for ‘A Means to an End’ as it became apparent it was going to take longer than all of us thought for me to get used to it so it got packed away not to be used. At the time, it is worth noting I was in a relationship with a none artist lady who never really liked me using it and I never used it.

However, fast forward 9 months or so and only got pulled out the following year when the relationship I was in finished and I used it to try and help myself sleep really (the first single ‘Weaving Goodbye’ came in respond to that partly). Although there was recordings before that, there were all over the place structure wise and I find it painful to listen to the early recordings and possibly should haven’t released them and hung on for another six months or so, but those early recordings were important of times in my life as I was generally producing a single, EP or album almost every month.

It was a crazy period as I sometimes would spend night after night after work if I wasn’t going out to any poetry event recording piece by piece just playing it by ear with no training atall, and over time found my feet and found stream and downloads slowly built up as I carried on releasing material. When I got together with Amanda, my partner at the end of 2016, it got to the end of that year and in the start of the following year, I actually decided I had took the sound as far as I could and was going to pack it in around February or March 2017, only for Amanda to have some terrible family news (which I won’t go into here) and really needed me more than ever which delayed the release of what was going to be the last single ‘Finale’ for a few months and by the time I got to it, I had already started work on the next single ‘From Chords to Dischords’ which was very floaty air music.

Since then, I did a series of Autumn based music sometimes with field sounds ontop of it, and am currently working on a series of Space themed music (Currently there are Inner Space, Outer space, Searching for Planet 9, Searching for Planet 9 (Remixes), Floating from the earth to the Moon and back, and First Approach of Mars and in my next blog I’ll talk about future releases in mind) but Ocean in a Bottle is still developing, and I am still finding new avenues and directions I want to take Ocean in a Bottle in. It’s mostly been a emotional journey for me through changes in my life, and like my poetry is sometimes I can’t see ending yet.


No comments:

Post a Comment