Saturday 25 May 2019

Comics Unity (A brief history of Podcasting Part 3)


Comics Unity, my third Podcast is the most surprising Podcast of the three I currently do and certainly the one that really wasn’t planned.

And when I really wasn’t planned, I mean really wasn’t planned.

Fast forward all the way back to May 2017 during the early (ish) days of Spoken Label, way before Reading in Bed I ended up doing a Podcast with my good friend Michael who was just starting to get going as a writer and had a great time with him back at N Studios when during the recording off it I discovered he had a massive interest in graphic novels and comics like me.

Although I did know by going to the same writing workshop as him and also the same poetry open mic night, we decided to do his Spoken Label Podcast after getting chatting in Forbidean Planet (Manchester’s great comic shop) several times and when we met up at mine, we decided off the cuff to do Comics Unity straight after we did his Spoken Label session.

If I am honest, we should have prepared it better as it is somewhat disorganised for a first episode but did have a good laugh doing it only for it get abandoned when I was unable to get hold of Michael to do a follow up episode. 16 or so months later, Michael got in touch about wanting to start it up and I invited him over to mine and we had a great chat about it and spend most of the afternoon recording what became the 2nd Pilot and Episode 2 and 3 really over one day and have managed to carry it on a monthly basis after sorting out what exactly had caused the problem of him pulling out in the first place.

The planning for this Podcast is quite different from both Reading in Bed and Spoken Label in the sense of Reading in Bed I am making notes for each book I review and formally marking and Spoken Label although unstructured I tend to keep to a similar pattern with it which gives it the freedom to go in the direction it does. Comics Unity is different in the sense of the pair of us are often researching news that fit within the remit of what we want to talk to, and I’ll then usually get a running order of news together and we start chatting generally from there almost like just two friends just jumping off on all tangents frequently talking about something we like.

When me and Michael got into a routine with it, it’s been pretty plain sailing really and that’s the crunch point here, routine. Because with Reading in Bed, I am dating my co-host me and Amanda are always talking about it in one way or the other, Comics Unity just needed us to get into a routine after when Michael hit a few problems previously and since we got going in November last year, it’s developed at a good pace with the pair of us now doing extra Episodes when we meet up which have been getting good reviews

And also now doing our own Patreon page

(More on that next)

No comments:

Post a Comment