Tuesday 21 May 2019

Spoken Label (A brief history of Podcasting Part 1)


The older I get as a writer in particular since I abandoned watching television on any kind of regular basis (aside from Netflix and Amazon Prime series and some stuff on youtube) has found myself getting busier and busier with creative projects who touch on writing but not my own in the field of Podcasting for example.

A few of you already know I started a regular Podcast series called Spoken Label in 2016. This was originally designed to done as one or two off, but over time it took off more and more in particular as I got better and better with it, and it’s currently as of typing around 120 or so separate sessions and has another 9 or so pending (with others pending for recording too). Certainly on the earlier sessions, I can heard my own nerves in it as I was learning how to run the show more and more and I like to reflect its a good sign of how well respected they are, I am generally uploading one a week at the moment and have enough recorded for release until the middle of July and am expecting more to been getting recorded over the next month or so.

Nowadays, what I have learned with Spoken Label is simply keep everything in a similar pattern so everything starts off from the same point – i.e. what lead the person I am talking to taking the art (usually writing) they are doing and letting it flow from there. I’ve interviewed some people who are even more experienced than me. There was one for example who I won’t name who I found out had released a incredible amount of books which I didn’t realise until our chat had done 20 books in around 6 years and had another two on the way.

That chat was amazing as there was so much I could ask that writer, but I wanted to keep it to a manageable level. Now a manageable level for some Podcasts can be two or three hours, but there are Podcasts which have sections and sections with it. Take for example an interview with an actor or director on one of my favourite Podcasts, the Empire Film Magazine Podcast, I’ve noticed works somewhere around 20 minutes (but with no strict planning for more or less) works as it lets them talk about a specific project which most of my artists are talking about 90% of the time.

Some Podcasts I do know however like asking quite specific questions to the people they are chatting, with Spoken Label I have never really done that in three and a half years, I prefer really to do before we sit down to properly get going do what I term as fact checking really, make sure my facts are correct I know for the introduction and make sure there isn’t anything specific we need to touch on or cover and away we go.

Not all Podcasts have gone to plan, as I’ve had crashing laptops to deal with, and even once ad a Policeman stick their head through the window in the room I was doing the Podcast (warm summer night) to check whether next door was in and even once in a coffee shop when a friend walking past spotted I was in there with a female writer and thought he would pop in to say hi and ended up sitting in for the rest of the Podcast speechless.

I’ve also had venue problems where I have arranged to meet up with somebody only to discover the venue we were going to meet up in was totally unsuitable and we had to move somewhere on no notice whatsoever.

Spoken Label has been a challenge I’ve found over the years not in the fact of getting guests but rather time management and the uploading and trying to give everybody as welcoming a experience as possible and dealing with problems as they come along with a smile and a joke (if needed). I’ve made quite a few new friends out of it, and some people I’ve never spoken to again and would recommend anybody to have a go at it.

Whether I would suggest setting up a 2nd Podcast to run alongside is another ball game like I did is another ball game

And I’ll talk about that next.


No comments:

Post a Comment