Wednesday 29 May 2019

Patreon (A brief history of Podcasting 4)

Lastly currently with my Podcasts (although I am thinking about doing some work on networks for my Podcast series and any other future additional ones I may do), two of them have ventured into the world of Patreon.

If you look back at the topics I've talked about so far, it would be clear that Spoken Label would be impossible and not fair to do for reasons which are to clear to yourself if you think about.

And of course, that then leads to Reading in Bed first of all. I first myself became aware of Patreon constantly at the end of 2017 when I took out a monthly subscription to Sheffield band the Black Dog for their own Patreon project and we decided to do it for Reading in Bed (subtitled Under the Sheets by Amanda) where we would do a additional little episode (recorded usually in the middle of the month) of books that didn't make it for whatever reason or the other.

So far, this has involved taking it in turns with books (Amanda doing two and me doing a additional one book). Amanda it has to be said is a much quicker reader than me usually, so going forward it's likely it could well end up with me doing less of this than her but currently I have just finished off my books for the June Podcast (I'm ahead) so it's possible I may well start on a extra book for it this month (I have something in mind) but like I have said before doing this on-top of the normal Reading in Bed with me dating Amanda just involves a quick call inbetween episodes, say 30 minutes recording, the usual editing and then over to Amanda to release.

Comics Unity has only done it's one extra episode to date on patreon but the pattern there so far has been recording it on the same day we do the rest. In the case of our most recent episode 7 (the May 2019 - we will be meeting up shortly to record episode 8) we spent about three hours recording in total doing the main episode, the bonus avengers end game podcast and then our patreon page bonus. Unlike while with Amanda who has a good internet and / or phone I can ring up to record, Michael for reasons I won't mention here doesn't so it is easier to do it all in all (I make sure we have plenty of biscuits and diet coke to hand here).

If I am honest, our membership has been low on both Patreon pages so far, not that I am worried as its just another way of in both Podcasts of organising our time further and expanding both series to cover more and more content. A while ago, Reading in Bed as a one off did a youtube special which we may do again, and I am not above doing a Comics Unity special also for youtube but again watch this space. One thing I have learnt from doing these Podcasts is the fact that they are so many places you can list special Podcasts in a way to attract new listeners etc.


No comments:

Post a Comment