Monday 10 January 2011

latest news and views - Week Commencing 10th January 2011














(Written in Manchester's newish City Library)

Last week as it turned out towards the second half of the week turned out
to be a busy old week.

Last Thursday, I ended help run my monthly event ‘Guitars and Verse’ over
in Bolton which I felt ran really smoothly and was the best one so far (I believe
we had a crowd in of somewhere at least 30 people) and then my band
‘A Means to an End’ played their first full length set at a night
called Paradox.

Both were very enjoyable nights, and for once on both – I enjoyed them
even more by staying off the beer.

Paradox I had never been to previously, but I had been to several nights back
in 2008 I believe ran by John G Hall called the Poetry Party which seemed
to have on a endless stream of guests, and a bit of open mike at the end
which I like to think helped build up my confidence somewhat at the time.

That night I think finished at some point at the beginning of 2009, and
was then replaced later on by Paradox by Lauren Bolger and John G Hall
which seemed to have a theme of a certain writer (or musician). For whatever
reason, that stopped and the night instead became a mixture of poetry
and music.

The set list we did was 5 poems / songs which lasted around 20 minutes or so
and with our banter we had a really good time with, and made both of us
look forward to the next one.

The only thing I am up to creative wise, this week is attending Write Out Loud
at Stockport Art Gallery tonight which as always I am looking forward to attending,
where I will be showcasing two new poems ‘Longford Theatre’ (which is
about a dis-used theatre near where I live) and ‘Brighton to Kemptown’
which is another of my Brighton poems.

The rest of the week I have loads to sort out of website building and updating
as I am currently working on a new website for my band ‘A Means to an End’
and a blog for ‘Half Evil promotions’ (who I am involved with for
‘Guitars and Verse’).

Plans are also coming together slowly for the charity dos me and Half Evil
are talking about later in the year. As it stands, I am hopeful the one with
my other half, Cathy will be on 16th April 2011 at a venue T.B.A shortly
(I hope).

Other ones may follow too at Salford and Bolton. There is a chance at Salford’s
Crescent Pub, there will be a night called ‘Hulme Aid’ we will be running too
as well as a joint book launch for me and Jeff maybe towards the end of the year
(as well as the launch for my own second book ‘Detective Novel’ maybe
next year).

Half Evil has also announced a special night featuring the excellent Isle of Man
singer ‘Clara Barker’ for Friday 28th January 2011 and is under discussion
about making this the first in a series of special events at Bolton’s
excellent ‘Butterflies Bar'.

And of course, I’ll be plodding away with my normal stuff (minus hopefully soon
this cold).


No comments:

Post a Comment